Wednesday 9 December 2009

09. 12. 09

A Girl Wants...

Hassle-free shopping.

Want more?
I confess. I am a bonafide shopaholic. What started as an interest in fashion has kind of morphed into this burning itch which must be satisfied, no its worse than that, its more like a physical pain verging on a coronary, which must be treated. When you walk past a shop window, do you ever notice that the mannequins started winking at you? Sometimes, if you've had a particularly trying day, they might mouth words at you through the glass, "Come in! Look at this patent, flouro-green, tartan lined bomber jacket I'm wearing! You absolutely have to buy it!" It's only when you've made the purchase that you realise the severity of the situation. You exit the shop and look up: "New Look", the shop name reads. Your first thought? Justification. Things could be worse. I mean New Look does have its moments of a la mode (emphasis on moments). When you dare to review your purchase you notice a flyer pushed inside the bag; it's advertising a teenage disco convention for 13-16 year olds. That's when you realise that you've just purchased an item from New Look's junior range. Life seems truly hideous.
Yes, shopping takes advantage of the weak, but to add insult to high street injury, shopping is also a financial drain. We live in a world of plastic. No cash? No worries - just slap it on the plastic. Sometimes, I wake up and find myself standing in Topshop, confirming a price (around £200), typing my PIN into the machine, pressing enter and watching the screen change from: "PIN confirmed" to "authorising" to "please remove card". It's so quick and so easy and so incredibly horrific.
Thing is, I would never give it up, despite the negatives. Shopping is a part of who I am, and when I go home with my flouro-green bomber jacket, I can at least sleep at night knowing that I've done some good - that's one less gag-worthy jacket New Look junior has to sell...

2 comments:

  1. I agree i have a total clothes obsession. I just wish i had a bigger salary!

    Kate xx
    http://secretofficeconfessions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm completely with you on that one...!

    LC
    xxx

    ReplyDelete